Hospital Loma de Luz is a 40,000 square foot, 50-bed mission hospital with 3 operating rooms, 8 out-patient clinic examining rooms, Emergency Department, Wound Clinic/PT, a 2-chair dental clinic, optometry clinic, laboratory, and pharmacy. It currently staffs for an in-patient census of 18 higher acuity beds (predicated by the significant on-going cost of employing Honduran nursing staff), and is currently constructing additional lower acuity patient rooms.
Between triage, out-patient clinic, emergency room, surgery (both in-patient and out-patient) and in-patient services, the hospital cares for roughly 20,000 patients per year and performs about 1,200 surgical procedures per year. Loma de Luz serves a primary catchment area of roughly 50,000 souls, and takes referrals from Honduran physicians, nurses, and public health facilities from all over Honduras.
Our staff often serve as faculty in established training programs and residencies raising up the next generation of health professionals. Others train national staff in less formal environments. Building local capacity is central to the identity of the Christian Health Service Corps, therefore we actively seek out places where we can have a lasting impact by discipling, and training local Christian physicians and health professionals to serve in their own communities.
Medical staff needed:
- Primary care physicians (internal medicine or family practice)
- Registered nurses
- Laboratory Technologist: We have a need for a laboratory technologist who would be willing to come down (for ideally two weeks or more) to train our new Honduran lab technicians in microscopy skills. We could provide the microscopes, the personnel, a translator, and a syllabus if needed.
CHSC support staff needs at this facility:
- Hospital administrator
- Hospital/ Missionary Chaplain
- Information Technology Specialist
- General admin support such as social media
- Teachers for El Camino Bilingual School including:
Kindergarten, 4-6th grade, P.E. and Health, Fine Arts, and Paraprofessionals (primary grades)
(all classes are taught in English)
Language: English is spoken by most hospital staff. Spanish is the official language of Honduras.
CHSC missionary staff:
- Pediatrician, Judith Blumhofer
- Family Practice, Ryan and Heidi Moultray
- Family Practice, Jason and Lisa Como
- Physician Assistant & Nurse Practitioner, Andrew & Alisa Geers
- Emergency Medicine Physician, Dr. Peter & Katie Stockton
- Registered Nurse, Vanessa Suggs
- Registered Nurse, Elizabeth Martin
- Operational Support, Dave & Marinajo Fields
For More Information: Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org